PROJECTS } Pretty Creatives
We are proud to announce our 2014 winners, Eric Handman and Lesley Telford! Learn more about these exciting artists HERE
ABOUT OUR ANNUAL PRETTY CREATIVES INTERNATIONAL CHOREOGRAPHIC COMPETITION
At the start of each calendar year, Northwest Dance Project announces a call for entries for our Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition to identify two emerging choreographers who will have an opportunity to create an original work during our annual summer LAUNCH project.
Northwest Dance Project is committed to working with artists of diverse experiences and backgrounds, and utilizes our Pretty Creatives Project as a way to help develop new voices in dance.
Selected choreographers will participate in a six-day summer residency during our LAUNCH: 9 project. During the residency period, selected choreographers will be offered a 3-hour daily creative period during which they will have an open forum to create and develop new choreographic material. An informal presentation of the resulting "works-in-progress" or completed works will be shown in our Studio + Performance Center on the final day and open to the public. Choreographers will be asked to work with all our LAUNCH dancers, but the developed piece can be set on a smaller group of dancers. Northwest Dance Project's Artistic Director, Sarah Slipper, will help guide this residency.
- creative honorarium
- 6 days of rehearsal time with the dancers (18 hours total)
- travel to and from Portland, per diem and hotel accommodation
To apply for consideration, choreographers will be required to send:
- DVD or online links (Vimeo is preferred) to video(s) of recent choreographic work
(one or multiple works, not to exceed 10 minutes - please do not submit highly edited material)
- current résumé plus choreographic biography
- brief proposal (no longer than one page) of choreographic intent, which may include style of dance, number of dancers, musical selection, length, scope, format, etc.
- $35 application fee (in US Dollars - US check or bank draft payable to NWDP or paid on-line)
A FAQ SHEET WITH TIPS WILL BE POSTED HERE
We prefer that applications be mailed to our PO Box address.
As an alternative, applications and be e-mailed and the submission fee can be mailed (if paying by check) or paid on-line (with an added $5 for fees).
Winners are announced in April.
Question or need more info? Please email us.
Click HERE to view/print the 2014 Pretty Creatives flier.
© 2014 Northwest Dance Project | All Rights Reserved